Seventeen is too young to be messed with.

Seventeen is too young to be messed with.
"All moments, past, present, and future, always have existed, and always will exist."

17.4.11

#10. I'm off to see a blog, the wonderful blog by Jordyn



I ended up on Jordyn's blog a couple weeks back because sometimes I wonder how people think, as strange as that sounds. And so I thought, "Hey, I wonder what Jordyn wrote on her blog." (Well, I didn't really think that, but somehow I was curious what her blog looked like that day).
As I read on, I learned different ways to appreciate S-5, even though some of her opinions were different than mine. Her posts were also entertaining, so props to her (Y).

Post: http://shouse5.blogspot.com/2011/03/warped-narrative-assignment-4.html

I wanna start with reviewing her time-warping post. I love short stories, so I started with that. I am (-slash- was) a huge Miley Cyrus fan, which made the post even more interesting to read. Jordyn's metaphors were quite striking as visual aids.
Two great examples of this are:
  • As the passengers hit the rough concrete, their seatbelts dangled uselessly in the light summer's breeze.
  • She fought through the growing crowd, which seemed to swirl around her, swallowing her the way an explorer that has fallen into a pit of quicksand will be swallowed as he fights to escape in inevitable fate.
She also manipulated Vonnegut's style into her own writing, which I thought was very clever:
You might even have said that it sounded scared, as if its owner was not in total enjoyment of the situation at hand. That was I.  I was that owner of that voice.
As I read on, I was amazed at how well she captured the feeling and intensity of each time-warp. It felt very Vonnegut-inspired and I adored her amazing story-telling talents.

Post: http://shouse5.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-am-incapable-of-using-technology.html

I loved the creativity in her blog. In one of her recent posts, she made a photoshopped picture (though she says she's not great with Photoshop). I think it's neat when people try out new things, and I liked the pciture; the lego figures made me smile. I'll probably mention this to her in French class tomorrow aha. I'm still confused as to what the blue outlined rectangle is though =P.  But she chose an idea that I was struggling with before too: what if everything does happen all at once? It's strange to accept because we think in such a linear fashion. I would not want to know my own fate either, what a scary thought.

Her closing lines, When we only look back on what has already happened, we turn into a pillar of salt, wowed me. It's one of those things you read that makes you a little more optimistic about life. I'm somewhat a pessimist, no lie. So it was good to know that there are optimistic people like Jordyn out there.

Post: http://shouse5.blogspot.com/2011/04/valencia.html

Her character analysis of Valencia Merble was similarily thought-provoking. I don't read too much into things when it comes to books, so that particular post was an eye-opener. My afterthought after reading her ideas was that Merble does represent the flaws of society.
I was a little lost with the passage until she stated that "the major flaw that Valencia and society have in common between them is their constant consumption and lack of production." And I thought, "Hey, she's right." Valencia eats and eats and doesn't do anything for society, even with all the money her daddy owns. And us, we all take and take but hardly ever give. We want more for less. Technology gives us what we want without having to exercise for it. For example, a remote control was invented so that we don't have to leave the couch to change the channel (I am not saying remote controls are bad inventions so hold on). This may seem like trivial matters, but inventions such as a butter glue stick to spread butter on our bread slices more easily is ridiculous. Clever, but ridiculous.
As she so aptly states: "We could all help humanity out if we all tried to be a little less like Valencia Merble."

Post: http://shouse5.blogspot.com/2011/04/looking-back-on-slaughterhouse-five.html

On an ending note, I also agreed with a few points in Jordyn's blog post "Looking back on S-5".  She wrote that "Vonnegut is stressing the importance and neccesity of finding meaning within our lives." The thing is, "everybody dies but not everybody lives (Moment 4 Life - Nicki Manaj ft. Drake)". If we don't find meaning in our lives, we lose all effort to live. Billy welcomed his death, yes, but he enjoyed living his life. Vonnegut just had a dark, satiric way of expressing it.


Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment