Seventeen is too young to be messed with.

Seventeen is too young to be messed with.
"All moments, past, present, and future, always have existed, and always will exist."

6.3.11

I'm on the Verge of Chapter Seven

I didn't know who Kurt Vonnegut was 'til a few months ago.
It's kind of depressing actually, 'cause he introduced some fascinating ideas that I would have loved to have known years before. His concept that life happens all at once, and only humans see it in a linear fashion, is so intriguing. He makes death seem less of a sad thing, because he explains that the person was alive in many other moments. I guess this mentality could also pertain to people who were in my life before but are no longer here. Most of them sort of just slipped right out of my life, for reasons only Life itself would know. But for the few others that didn't end on good terms, I try not to go back to it except for the good memories. Because for all the bad memories, the nothing-at-all's and the closed glass door, I suppose there are just as many good memories.
This book really solidified my belief in fate. I wasn't so certain about it before. I kind of hoped that there was such thing as free will. But the miracles that happen in life and the bad things that happen in life (which are sometimes uncalled for) seem to prove that the future is a definitive thing. We don't know if shooting stars will land, but someone out there does. That's the scary thing.

1 comment:

  1. You raised a very interesting idea towards the end of your post: what if there is a higher-power out there, but there is STILL fate? Philosophers and religious leaders have debated these ideas for centuries. Very nice reflection here.

    ReplyDelete